Why "Sit Still Sam?"

"Sit still, Sam - we're goin' around the corner," is something my dad used to jokingly say in the car, sort of like saying, "Hold on tight!" I think his dad used to say it. It makes zero sense to anyone outside our family! However, it means something to me, and this blog is my crazy attempt to document my journey to health and lots of other great things! In other words, I'm trying to turn a corner. Well, I'm always turning corners. We all are, whether we realize it or not. You're also likely to find me sharing whatever happens to amuse me or pass through my brain on any given day. You may find a poll, a recipe, a random photo, thyroid and diet information, photos from my latest vacation... it's a little like playing Roulette. If you find something helpful, amusing, touching, or interesting, please leave me a comment to let me know you stopped by! :)

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Thank God for Gena Lee Nolin and "Thyroid Sexy!"

Today was definitely a pay-it-forward kind of day! I've been part of the Thryoid Sexy community for a while now, thanks to friends who saw my fb post about being diagnosed with Hashimoto's. If it wasn't for this gorgeous and generous woman, as well as Mary Shomon, and I can't forget stopthethyroidmadness.com... I would not be on the path I am. I would have listended to my (former) endocrinologist, a known "expert" from Mayo Clinic and Past President of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and I wouldn't be on any medication or have dug into the ALCAT test to find out I'm gluten-intolerant. I wouldn't have kept searching for an open-minded, well-educated doctor, who believes in treating Hashimoto's the right way. And I would still most likely be dealing with horrible, frustrating, random eyelid swelling and puffiness!

Gena has become the spokesperson/advocate for thyroid disease. Her story is amazing, having been on Baywatch, while feeling lousy, fighting depression and weight gain, and ultimately being misdiagnosed, told it was all in her head and that she just had postpartum depression. She, too, kept looking for answers and, because of her, Thyroid Sexy was born! So how did I get to meet my hero?

Gena is now a best-selling author! Her book, Beautiful Inside & Out - Conquering Thyroid Disease with a Healthy, Happy, "Thyroid Sexy" Life - just came out this month and is already at the top of the lists! Lucky for me, she lives here in Scottsdale, and I happened to see (at the last minute) Gena's post that she would be signing copies today at Barnes & Noble in Scottsdale. I got there about 30 minutes early, met many other women dealing with Hashi's and Graves Disease, and got to meet Gena. She sat down and had a lengthy, unscripted, heart to heart talk with a small audience, answered questions, and encouraged us to share info with each other. We talked about the gluten connection, and I mentioned my awesome doctor that actually prescribes natural dessicated thyroid medication. She signed and gave away copies of her book, which I can't wait to start reading! She is such and inspiration, having lost over 40 pounds, going from around 180 to her current weight of 135! She looks amazing, is very down to earth, and I am so grateful to her for the ripple effect she has started!


Through me talking to others, another woman approached me who is currently battling the swelling eyelid horror that I was dealing with last year. She said she never would have associated it with thyroid issues or Hashimoto's if I hadn't said whatever I said. She is not diagnosed yet, but she is battling all the classic Hashi's symptoms, and she now has hope that she won't have to wake up on random days with crazy, swollen eyelids and bags under her eyes! Again, Gena is directly responsible for that connection. I also got a signed copy of her book for a good friend who lives in Australia and is battling Hashi's and adrenal fatigue. It's because of a friend reaching out to me that I am now armed with better information and am improving my health. Let the ripples keep spreading! }i{ (This is my butterfly-symbol tribute to Thyroid Sexy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! To prevent spam, I review all content before publishing them.